- The Dôme church – Tomb of Napoleon I Entrance from the Place Vauban
- Artillery in the Cour d’Honneur Entrance from the esplanade des Invalides
- Cathedral of Saint-Louis des Invalides Entrance from the Cour d’Honneur
- Antique arms and armours Entrance from the Cour d’Honneur, ground floor
- From Louis XIV to Napoleon III Entrance from the Cour d’Honneur, 2nd floor
- Curiosity Rooms Entrance from the Cour d’Honneur, 1st floor
- The two World Wars Entrance on the 1st floor, by the Cour d’Honneur staircase
- Charles de Gaulle historial Entrance from the Cour d’Honneur, basement
- Temporary exhibitions Entrance from the Cour d’Honneur, 3rd floor
- Museum of Plans-Reliefs Entrance from the Cour d’Honneur, 4th floor
- Museum of the Order of the Liberation Entrance from the Place Vauban
The Dôme church – Tomb of Napoleon I
In 1676, the minister Louvois replaced the liberal Bruand with Jules Hardouin-Mansart to conduct the construction of the Invalides. Despite an initial unified plan, Hardouin-Mansart created an imposing royal church, the "Dôme des Invalides", reserved for solemn occasions, while keeping a more modest "soldiers church" for the pensioners' daily life. The construction of the tomb of Napoleon I in the 19th century, then the installation of the glass roof, completed the separation into two churches.
Artillery in the Cour d’Honneur
An exceptional battery of 70 bronze cannons from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries all along the galleries of the Cour d’Honneur goes back over 200 years of French land artillery. Visitors are invited to discover the role, the symbolism and the history of these centrepieces in the museum's artillery collections, as well as the epic of the great French arms manufacturers.
Cathedral of Saint-Louis des Invalides
Architect Jules Hardouin-Mansart designed the grand and fitting building in 1676. From the very start it was divided into a royal church (Dôme des Invalides) and the Eglise des Soldats which was devoted to Saint-Louis and consecrated to Sainte Trinité. Inside you will see a pipe organ made by Germain Pilon, the Bâtiments du Roi’s chief carpenter, and a hundred trophies taken from the enemy to tell the story of the French army between 1805 and the 20th century.
Several concerts are held here! Information at reception.
Antique arms and armours - from the Middle Ages to 1643
The impressive richness of its antique collections, inherited from the French kings' arms stores, makes the Musée de l’Armée one of the three greatest armouries in the world. These pieces are displayed in chronological order, recalling the knights from the time of Saint Louis up to the permanent army of the 17th century. The visit is rounded out by oriental arms, hunting arms and tournament arms.
The Two World Wars - from 1871 to 1945
Uniforms, objects from soldiers' daily life, emblems, arms, objects relating to colonial history, paintings and personal archives, documentary films, photographs and cards give a perspective on the two worldwide conflicts telling the escalation into the Great War, the inter-war period and the build-up of political tensions and hegemonic ambitions which led to the Second World War.
From Louis XIV to Napoleon III - from 1643 to 1871
Great battles and military campaigns follow upon each other from 1643 to the Franco-German war of 1870, with the Revolution, the First Empire, the Restoration and the July Monarchy in between. Through a unique collection of uniforms, equipment, arms, decorations and emblems, paintings and personnel effects belonging to illustrious characters such as Napoleon Bonaparte and his marshals, modern collections provide views of the military, political and social history of France.
This new space, which forms part of the permanent exhibition, is divided into two rooms. The first room showcases specific collections of ancient figurines (sets of paper, lead and tin toy soldiers), as well as scale models of artillery pieces, whilst the second room is dedicated to the history of ancient musical instruments.
Charles de Gaulle historial
Devoted to the political career of Charles de Gaulle, this multimedia area, designed with the Fondation Charles de Gaulle, plunges the visitor into the heart of the history of the 20th century. Giving priority to audio and video archives, multimedia clips, and extracts from documentaries, there are no objects displayed in this area but the visitor is totally immersed in France as it was from 1890 to 1970. Equipped with an autonomous infrared device, the visitor decides on its own exploration through 400 audio and video documents and almost 20 hours of commentaries.
The museum brings you two unmissable events every year: heritage exhibitions alongside a dedicated cultural schedule.
In the East War without End, from 5 October 2018 to 20 January 2019
While the conflicts in Western Europe came to an end on 11 November 1918, fighting in Eastern Europe and the Near East continued until 1923. The exhibition retraces the fall of four great empires and explores this little-known period in history marked by revolutions, civil wars, major border shifts and the creation of new states.
Museum of Plans-Reliefs
The Musée des Plans-reliefs preserves and presents a one-of-a-kind collection of historical models of fortified cities and campaigns carried out during the reigns of Louis XIV and Napoleon III. Plan-reliefs are used to plan military strategies, are vital assets to heads of state and miniature masterpieces. They provide a detailed 3D insight into the cities, their buildings, fortifications and surrounding area.
Museum of the Order of the Liberation
The Musée de l'Ordre de la Libération is devoted to the Companions of the Liberation. It presents their story in the context of Free France and the Resistance between 1940 and 1945. The Order of Liberation was founded by General de Gaulle in November 1940 to recognise fighters for distinguished deeds during the French liberation.
NB: The Musée de l’Ordre de la Libération is currently closed for renovation. It is due to reopen in September 2015.
Tickets – information
There are two ticket counters at the Army Museum, one to the north (on the Esplanade des Invalides side) and the other to the south (Place Vauban side).
There are also ticket machines for entry to the museum (full-price tickets).
Reminder of museum opening-hours:
• From 1st April to 31st October: 10 am – 6 pm
• From 1st November to 31st March: 11 am – 5 pm
The multimedia guide, for use with your iPod Touch, accompanies you throughout your tour of the museum.
• Prices: €6 (full price) and €4 (reduced price)
Pay at the museum admissions desk or at the multimedia guide counters
• Languages: French, English, Spanish, Italian, German, Russian, Mandarin and Japanese.
Multimedia guides can be collected and returned at the counters in exchange for an identity document. They are not issued1 hour and 30 minutes before the museum closes. You can return your multimedia guide up until the museum closing time.
Café – restaurant
The Carré des Invalides is a friendly venue for a bite to eat either before or after your visit. It is situated on the same level as the ticket - information counter, Place Vauban side.
• 9 am – 6.30 pm, from 1st April to 31st October;
• 9 am – 5.30 pm, from 1st November to 31st March
The café-restaurant is closed on 1st January, 1st May and 25th December.
Book and gift shop
The RMN book and gift shop is situated on the same level as the ticket - information counter, Place Vauban side, and sells a wide selection of guides and books on the collections at the Army Museum and on military history (over 2,000 titles), as well as related objects, post cards, etc.
There is also a book and gift shop counter in the Eglise du Dôme, from April to September.
The book and gift shop is open:
• from 1st October to 31st March: from Monday to Saturday 10 am – 5 pm and on Sundays 10 am – 5.30 pm;
• from 1st April to 31st October: from Monday to Sunday 10 am – 5.30 pm;
The shop is closed on 1st January, 1st May and 25th December.